SailNet Community - View Single Post - Question for experienced boat owners/sailors
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Question for experienced boat owners/sailors

Frankly, cosmetics make a world of difference. I suggest you hire a local boat monkey to clean the boat up and get rid of the trash, bird poop and especially the Propane bottle on deck. Get the hoses out of the boat. The device in the galley range bay is a reasonably costly bbq grill and you'll want to keep that. Get the trash out of the interior and have your BM wash down the woodwork, dry it and wipe it down with lemon oil. Likewise have him use a shop vac (he'll need a small portable generator) to suck-up the rust from the engine compartment. Rust is deceptive and is roughly 600% the volume of the iron consumed so it is frequently less problematic than it looks. I suggest you also contact a local diver and have him give the bottom a scrub and get rid of the "beard". By investing a few thousand dollars in clean-up and minor repair you can likely salvage many times that. The boat needs work and some young local that can pick her up for $15,000-20,000 or so could, with a little elbow grease, have her back in shape in short order. (If your relative had a shore side residence or storage locker, I suspect you'll find a lot of what appear to be missing boat parts--locker doors, sails, and the like.) This boat has real potential and could be a diamond in the rough for someone, especially with the self-steering gear).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook