SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

caberg is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Just finished this on my kindle.

The story is light and easy. I particularly liked the descriptions of sail gear, hardware and handling from Glenn's novice perspective, completely free from any sort of notions of superiority. He was able to break down some of this technical information and tell it like it is in simple terms.

The underlying premise of the story felt a little awkward and canned to me. Basically, the sailing adventure came about because Glenn is too unattractive to ever find a wife and have children (goal #1 in life), so he settles for buying a boat and going sailing (back up goal). He really belabors these points with a lot of detail about failed dating attempts, his unattractiveness, and his refusal to compromise his standards. To me, it seems like this was added to try and make the book more of a plot-driven story, but I don't think it was necessary.

Lastly, one of my big pet peeves with kindle edition books are the typos, and this edition had many. It also showed dashes (--) as hyphens (-) which made for some awkward sentences, especially since Glen uses a lot of dashes in his writing.

All in all, well worth the 3.99 on my Kindle and I do commend Glenn for writing a book that people are reading, which is extremely difficult in today's age of self publishing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook