We need to replace our old radar and have several choices. First I should say that we rarely use the radar and it was on the fritz from Australia to South Africa and there were only a couple of times where we felt like we were missing it. In tropical and semi-tropical areas it is nice for seeing a way around storms. When we return to temperate areas where fog occurs it would be good. Also good if we want to go to Namibia next year since it is foggy there. Anyway, the short version of the above is that I don't want to spend too much.
The options seem to be:
1. Get a radome (non-digital) that I can link to our 'classic' Raymarine chart plotter. Would have to get one on eBay since these are no longer made.
2. Get a Furuno monochrome radar, model 1715. Are these weatherproof for installation under dodger?
3. Get a Lowrance HDS system which apparently has very low power consumption.
4. Get a Lowrance dome and a Standard Horizon display. Does the SH display have any advantages?
5. Get a Ramarine e7 system which seems to offer some interesting networking capabilities.
What do you think?
Finished the circumnavigation in early February in Grenada. Have to work on a book project for the next several months so the boat will be waiting for next year.