SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's a sailor to do in London?
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: What's a sailor to do in London?

I was in London last month for a whole 3 days, two of which were work, in the "City". Never got west of St Paul's nor east of Leman st. which is kind of the beginning of the East End. All on foot, in 2 inches of snow that Londoners didn't seem to know quite what to make of.

Loved it. With more time I'd have gone west to Kensington and Hyde Park etc but just between Tower Bridge (hotel near there) and Millenium Bridge (together that's a nice jogging rectangle along the riverfront there was so much to see, streets at disorienting angles with ever-changing names, great juxtaposition of the very old and very new (much more of latter since my last time a decade ago) that I was quite satisfied.

Ethnic quickie restaurants were fine for grub, it ain't Paris so food for me was utilitarian.

The City's just a knockout. So don't overlook it amidst all those great museums. I think it helps in a way if you're working there, you see it in a way that you don't as a tourist (okay I was partially a tourist but I didn't overbook myself).

Oh, and on the overseas flight home, we chased the evening twilight all the way across the Ocean, it was cool. Three seats across both ways, so got sleep and had little jet lag.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook