SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Thanks for your comments, caberg. You're right - I need to redo the Kindle formatting. The hard copy from CreateSpace is much better. I need to base the new Kindle edition on the pdf doc used by CreateSpace. No easy way to do that - the technology is quite new.

To clarify, it wasn't that I was "too ugly to get a mate," it was that I was "too short and fat to get a mate I would find appealing." Big difference! I don't think I'm ugly at all - but I have found (big surprise) pretty girls don't like fat guys the same height they are, at least if they're not millionaires.

I did feel this was vital to the story. First, if not for the repeated rejections I experienced in 2000 and 2001 (the drive-by rejection being an example) I would not have bought the boat. Second, I thought there was a nice degree of irony how my voyaging did not allow me to escape rejection, but instead sort of amplified it and even turned it around. To me, rejection and disappointment were intertwined with the core story of outfitting the vessel and actually making the voyage. I tried to be careful not to overdo the non-sailing part, but there will be differences of opinion as to how much was appropriate.

Best regards,

Glenn
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook