SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

LauderBoy is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Yeah. I spent my entire 30's trying to make myself into what society would consider "proper husband material" with a lot of failed dates and relationships to show for it. Three years back a couple weeks after kayaking down to Cayo Costa(with an ex girlfriend who had broken up with me months prior) I was on this date with a girl I had hit it off with on Match or OkCupid or some other site. The restaurant was too loud, she looked a little bored, and my mind kept wandering back to my Cayo trip and seeing this beautiful sailboat in the harbor. Over the last couple weeks I'd wondered what it'd be like living on that sailboat. It'd popped up in my head a lot and when this cute late 20-something thing kept talking on about this or that all I could think of was "I really don't want to be here".

It was this weird, strange almost depressing feeling that had this underlying "Now what the hell do I do with myself" undercurrent.

So I go home, surf Yachtworld, get a Match email from the girl saying the usual "You're not what I'm looking for, good luck.", barely read it, and that weekend I'm taking sailing lessons. One month later I threw most everything I owned away and moved into a hotel. A month after that I'm an owner of a 32ft sailboat and prepping her for moving aboard.

So Glenn's method of "starting out" sort of resonated with me. It's one of those life points where you hit this stark realization that "**** isn't going to work out like you planned", so you throw away a lot of who've you tried to be all those years and set off in a completely new direction.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook