SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenndamato View Post
David: The survey did not pick up or test for leaks, and I probably would have said "I don't care, because I'm going to replace all the hatches and ports anyhow."

I noticed that even small amounts of rain (or even a heavy dew!) would immediately result in significant quantities of water entering below - and I am 100-percent sure it was not from condensation. I may be "all wet," but my rather thin theory was that the plastic deck core got saturated so any incoming leaks would push out moisture into the cabin, through the many hundreds of staples that punctured the inner cabin top glass.

Best,

Glenn
Sorry about worrying this leaky boat issue like a dog with a bone but since is ended up being one of two significant issues that ended the trip and was not apparent from the beginning I'm trying to extract as much useful information out of your experience as possible.
I'm sure none of us want to end up with a leaky boat and you surely don't want to either.

I'm very surprised that some of our more experienced boat repair people haven't commented on your use of 5200.

I have a theory that perhaps 5200 actually caused the boat to leak even more that it did before you "fixed" it.
5200 is an amazingly strong adhesive. If there are two parts sealed with 5200 on a deck and for any reason, even expansion and contraction due to two different materials, something has to give. The adhesive will not give, it is too strong, so another crack forms creating a worse leak than before.

The bedding compound that should be used is butal tape which never gets hard and never leaks but allows significant movement.

If you 5200 two pieces of fiberglass together then force them apart I believe that the 5200 will not fail first. The gelcoat or fiberglass itself will separate first.

Can any experienced boat repair people confirm this theory?
Mainesail, are you there?

Glenn if you contributed to causing leaks by improper use of space age adhesive I'm sure you would want to know about it.

Second

During your refit you said you replaced all the ports.
Did you remove everything from the deck, hand, rails, winches, tracks, everything and rebed them?

The reason I'm worrying this diagnosis is that re-bedding everything is something that is well known has to be done every 10 to 20 years or leaks will develop.

The hull-deck joint on the other hand will last as long as the boat if it was done right from the beginning as far as I know.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook