SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Referring back to the charisma of Linjett yachts (if I remember well someone posted about the outdated hull shape, on the other side the LYS figure indicates
that it is a very fast boat and considering the price which is higher than average Scandinavian made boat, As well as the experience of the yard (may the oldest in Europe still existing), I want to come back to the issue of the significance of a qualified naval architect. Can Mat Gustavsson, owner and designer of Linjett yachts be considered such? I would expect your comments after the quote of part of an article published on the Feb issue of Sailing magazine. The article is named "Built with love" about a Swedish couple who purchased hull no.102 (last) of the discontinued Linjett 35 and even have participated in the final improvements:
"There is not a single drawing for any of the boats - not for the interior, nor for the hull or anything. Mat uses a plastic material to build a model. He starts by
cutting the view from above. He shapes the plastic into a sailboat and test it in his bathtub, adding weights and obviously finding the centre of gravity. Once complete the first yacht in the line is constructed based on the model. Then the boat is entered in the summer racing circuit in the Swedish archipelago near Stockholm to test it sailing. Afterward, the design is fine-tuned and improvements are incorporated in the line".
How does it sound? Maybe one has to ask Bob Perry who writes regularly for the same magazine.

Sorry I had to rewrite the passage from the article. Could not copy/paste it but I have not changed anything.
Regards
Rumen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook