SailNet Community - View Single Post - The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: The future of the sailing world. Why are there so few young people cruising??

I am one of those sailing youngsters. I got my start however on rental boats that the father of the girl I was dating who had his ASA captains license. During that period I didnt go out on anything smaller than 30 feet.

I am on my 4th sailboat now all of them in the high 20's LOA and all pink slipped owned by me. I actually never put a lido to use for anything other than as a dink.

Money is certainly one issue. Between my girl and I we make a 6 figure income and the upkeep on a 28 footer can be hard. Especially when she didnt come to you in the greatest shape. Another aspect is the learning curve of maintenance, and for some the learning curve of sailing.

I recall when I purchased my current tub my Columbia I moved her from south San Diego to San Pedro since there isnt a ton of wind going that way I elected to motor most of the way and whew first two days alone at sea. On the third day I was joined by friends for the jaunt from Del Mar to Santa Catalina Island and from there to Wilmington.

On departure from Wilmington I allowed one of those friends to handle the tiller for awhile and I recall his white knuckling the tiller in blue water keeping it right on point as if it were a precision thing. Truth is on a 27 mile trip you can let the compass wander a bit, not a big deal.

Perception of the learning curve I think is another part. Laziness is another and well lets face it the ocean can smash you to pieces if it feels like it. A far cry from some of the other sports us youngsters partake in. I however cant live without sailing. Some of those most beautiful moments I been witness to were at the helm of my trusty tub.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook