SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by olianta View Post
"There is not a single drawing for any of the boats - not for the interior, nor for the hull or anything. Mat uses a plastic material to build a model. He starts by
cutting the view from above. He shapes the plastic into a sailboat and test it in his bathtub, adding weights and obviously finding the centre of gravity. Once complete the first yacht in the line is constructed based on the model. Then the boat is entered in the summer racing circuit in the Swedish archipelago near Stockholm to test it sailing. Afterward, the design is fine-tuned and improvements are incorporated in the line"

How does it sound?
It sounds good

He is one of the last NA from the old school before computers. There are some good ones still doing great boats....and the performance on the race track speaks about design quality, whatever the methods that are used.

There are several Nordic ones on the same category among them Oluf Jørgensen the designer off Luffe yacht (that also races them), Niels Peter Faurby, the designer of Faurby yachts (also a racer) is another. I think they use design but not CAD and I bet that they start with models. That was the way boats were designed in old days. First it was made half hull and then the lines were taken from there.

On the South of Europe there are not many examples that I know off, except one that counts a lot by the great performance of his boats, I am talking about Jacques Valer a guy from the old generation that I don't believe uses the computer except for the final images of his boats. I saw paper designs from him not long ago. He designs the boats for JPK and JPK boats win everywhere:

JPK

Anyway a generation that will end up in some years, I am sure. Today everybody uses CAD for design. However they are also part of a generation of NA that continue strong, the ones that race their boats or had an active past as racers. Many of those are today main NA, specially in France.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 02-14-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook