SailNet Community - View Single Post - US Navy ship strikes reef because of incorrect charts
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: US Navy ship strikes reef because of incorrect charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
A friend of mine is pretty sick over this. He served on this ship as a diver a number of years ago and like all sailors has sentimental attachment to his ship.

I had friends on sister ships of this class. It's odd- it wasn't so long ago these were being built. A guided missile cruiser I served on is being decommed next year, and that is heartbreaking to me. I would be horribly saddened to see my ship foundering on a reef and junked before my eyes in such a manner.
Perhaps therein lies the reason you guys usually strip the good bits off and sell what's left to our idiot politicians "fully fitted out" at bargain-basement prices instead. (Brilliant sales-job, BTW)

..and leave us to spend gazillions re-fitting them, none the wiser...

Last edited by Classic30; 02-14-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook