SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013

glenndamato is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

davidpm: No, I didn't rebed all deck hardware, but the list of deck hardware I did not rebed is short: three of the four teak handrails, the tracks, and hardware associated with the staysail. Keep in mind I haven't seen this boat in almost nine years, so I am remembering as best as I can but it may be imperfect.

The VOLUME of water getting below was what got me. It was not from the "big"holes: the two deck hatches and the ten new bronze ports. I forward deck hatch did not leak after it was properly adjusted. There were no clear, obvious entry points - the water was just "there," mainly appearing in lockers and the bilge, and the hull-deck joint is the only place I could think of, mainly because you can't directly see it at all in the DE38.

Tied up to the dock, during California's "dry" season (no significant rainfall), a heavy dew or a 15-min drizzle would NOT result in any wetness below. However, once the boat was "wet for the season" (after the first heavy rains in December), at that point even a heavy dew or a 15-min drizzle WOULD result in significant new wetness below: cushions, lockers, etc. This is why I came up with the "saturated foam core" theory.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook