SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repower confusion (horsepower)
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Repower confusion (horsepower)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobberone View Post
Interesting thread. I've messed with turbos on cars for a long time including some high HP 'street' cars. The issue of turbos causing problems is IMO outdated. They've been using turbos in big trucks and now passenger trucks for a long time. If you can take a smaller motor and get the same relative displacement out of it as a bigger motor then that's a plus. If you add in direct fuel injection then you have an extra benefit of cooling and better fuel economy. More complicated but more efficient and generally longer lived.
True, the technology has long since matured but they still seem "wrong" on an engine that turns slow. Of course in a perfect world I'd have a marine engine where you could watch the pistons move up & down - "Bridge to engine room - give me three more RPM".

Also, AFAIK ALL diesels are direct injection - it's now being implemented on gas engines as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook