SailNet Community - View Single Post - Repower confusion (horsepower)
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Re: Repower confusion (horsepower)

jobber- turbos are extremely reliable, and on larger engines I'm a big fan of them. The majority of diesel engines that I've owned have had turbos and I agree about the increase in hp and efficiency. The problem for me is that when they go, you're pretty much dead in the water with either a blown seal on the exhaust side so you are dumping all your lube oil into the exhaust (and then into the ocean), or the intake seal goes and your trying to run the engine on the lube oil. The gain just isn't worth the extra complexity in my opinion. It's one thing to break down on the side of the road, it's another to be in some remote part of the world needing to find a turbo shop.

Sloop- One time, long, long ago I thought (briefly) about buying a salmon tender. It had a six cylinder Washington diesel in it that put out 300 hp. Maximum rpm was 300. It was about 10 feet long and 5' tall, I have no idea what that monster must have weighed, but man did it sound cool. I love hearing a boat with a Gardner going by, as engines go a pretty relaxing sound.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook