SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
No they were "hot linked" meaning referenced in my posts both here and on Sailboatowners.com but they were still hosted on a Bounty web site.

The images have been DELETED. Beyond that they have also been removed from deep scan internet archive searches which is very abnormal. My neighbor is a forensic computer consultant. Yesterday I emailed him to see if he could find them. His response was "this is weird I can always find something in cached archive searches but these addresses are simply gone."...

This would not surpise me. The frame was so rotted that it must have allowed enough movement/flex of planking etc. and allowed water in.

I have been saying this since the day I learned the boat sank in October and realized it was the boat I had seen on the rails at BHS so many times.

No one wanted to listen or cared back then and the only focus was on the captain. He still made a bad decision and still should have KNOWN the condition of this "pig in a prom dress" but still chose to set sail. Still, the boat should have been deemed a dockside attraction only IMHO....

Until the sinking that is what I had assumed she was. I never really paid much attention to the HMS Bounty other than knowing she was a Hollywood set in a Brando movie. If I had known she actually sailed with novice crew and ventured purposely into hurricanes I would have taken HUNDREDS of photos myself as it would have made a good thread........

IMHO because they were novices and die hard TS hobbyists so focused on their passion that they cared less about the safety reality than someone who is a professional.. I do recall reading that many folks who actually knew anything about wood ships bailed quickly on this venture, including some ships engineers. The final engineer was not, in any sense of the word, as related to boats...

Quite frankly I am amazed she held up as long as she did and it is a really testament to BHS IMHO. She was literally held together by the "prom dress" and paint...

IMHO likely because this is Maine where we still do things on a hand shake and a nod..

In most places it is an I can assure you more yards in Maine will be covering their collective arses after this...

Sailed gently it likely could have made it to the next repairs. I don't think anyone at BHS expected him to sail her directly into one of the largest storms in the North Atlantic in 30+ years..

Quite likely because this was the umpteenth time, over a 20 year period, this boat had been there and there was a "comfortable" relationship which was largely hand shake and verbal..

Jakomovicz and Walbridge were also "friends". I found Jakomovicz testimony to be some of the most offensive I have seen. Here is a guy with a claimed 40 years of experience who can only say under oath "Well because I have 40 years of experience and he only has 5"...How about citing some FACTS other than "I'm better than he is because I've been doing it longer"??? How about stating WHY the ship was safe? How about some details that show what Kosakowski said was not true? Surely Jakomovicz owns an awl? A camera? I mean the BHS has plenty of photos of projects on its site? At least Kozakowski came armed with photographic evidence. What did Jakomovicz present other than "I have 40 years experience he has 5".... LAME!!!!! Give us some SPECIFICS based on your 40 years experience......

I think teh conversation below was very, very telling and despite Jakomovitch arguing against Kozakowski I think it sealed the deal on "condition"..

Jakomovicz: “The key thing here is that it’s a 50 year old boat. You have to realize that that’s tired.”

Carroll: “Tired?”

Jakomovicz: “When you have a hog in the keel, that boat’s tired. When the backbone is tired and you take that boat in the seaway, that boat’s gonna work, and when it works, it’s gonna leak.” (“Work” refers to the movement of the timbers under strain.)

Carrol: “And you felt comfortable that Bounty was going to make the trip?”

Jakomovicz: “Oh, I had no idea it was going to go into a hurricane!”

There were sooooooo many mistakes in this debacle it is hard to pinpoint any one main contributing factor other than to say.....

THE BOAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!
I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said,,,and I have since the beginning

I have not been the Captain basher as I actualy met him a few times, although he bears major responsibility in this taking an unift boat into a storm of increasing ferocity

The more the testimony I heard from the Jakomavitz the more I was sickened and didnt beleive him actually.

The people who singed on to sail and learn on this vessel the more you listen were really not experienced enough to see and recognize the warning signs that they were in danger actually from the boat and seemed convincecd that this lack of maintainence and structural integrity was somehow " normal". They truly were innocent vistims in this in many ways.

Even my friend Walbridge appears to have been so involved with his own dream of the wooden sailing boats and teaching others his craft, he seems to have lost the ability to recognize the limits of this vessel. He had invested many years in it, and with his knowledge surely should have toned down the sea time as this vessel aged. Certainly not faced off a storm.

Its all tragic and could/ should have actually been worse. This could have let go at anytime it appears. The only reason the3 survived appears is that they had trained and knew what to do when the boat sank, they had the equipment and survivual suits, and the unbeleiveable efforts of the CG to reescue them.

He had one last chance to save the boat before things really came completely unglued when under way and that was the duck in the Delaware River or even Norfolk and he didnt. He knew by then the serverity of what he was facing and that hed have to run accross the front of the storm and have his vessel pounded. He certainly wasnt chasing a hurricane as he did before by follwoing it, but was headed at it. At least in those locations he would have run with the wind and once there had far less battering of the vessel. Instead he chooses to shoot the Hatteras Canyon, gaveyard of the Atlantic,

The owner is still lurking in the backround....like the wizzard of oz. He has some responsibility I am sure in pushing the boat along and not repairing her or letting her sail in these conditions. He could have somewhere in this said no way. You also dont know the pressure he applied. He sits protected right now by his corporate lawyers.

It was hard to listen to all their testimony first hand

Sorry for the rant Very sad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook