SailNet Community - View Single Post - Teak Woodwork
Thread: Teak Woodwork
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Teak Woodwork

Chinook, prices will vary depending on location but my experience will give you an idea. Last summer I priced out teak at $25/board ft and cherry at $4/bd ft. I went with cherry, which is now common in boat interiors, and it blends nicely with the existing teak in my interior (cabinets and made some additions in the galley). I like the look of cherry with teak over mahogany with teak but that's just personal preference. It's common to mix and match woods in boat interiors and furniture. Rolls of sheet veneer are also available from better lumber suppliers and from woodworking stores like Woodcraft.

If you're looking at covering up the fiberglass headliner you've gotten good advice. Avoid weight, keep it bright and make sure you maintain access to deck hardware. Take a look at Sailrite. They sell vinyl headliner material. Again this is common in many boats Sailrite.com | Home.

I too checked out laminates for our boat. Home center laminates are absolutely not suitable for a boat. Defender sells a product called Lonseal in sheets. This is the flooring used in new Catalinas. It looks like teak and holly, is maintenance free, chemical resistant and non-skid. But cutting and fitting it to a boat where there are no straight lines can be tricky - and you only get one shot. An alternative is Nu-Teak which is being used by folks like Ranger Tugs. All the same advantages as Lonseal but it comes in individual strips (like boards) that makes installation much easier.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook