SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I guess you are close to the truth. Not only wooden Ships, he loved that particular ship and love can alienate reason and make us do stupid and irrational things. Would we not be able to do irresponsible and dangerous things to save our boat? I am not sure but I am sure I would never put my crew or family in danger.

Anyway there is a big difference here: He was a professional Captain and had a crew to his responsibility. His first concern should always be regarding the crew not the Ship.

Regards

Paulo
Agreed as we all do when we take our boats out with others. Same responsibility. We are ultimately the person to hold the responsibility

Same responsibility when you have with others on ocean passages like the 1500 or are helping other moved boats as delivery captains.

Its is why I am so wary of peoples credentials when I help deliver boats. Anyone can claim they have the experience to help someone deliver a boat. That makes me really suspect as many are trying to gain it and over qualify themselves.

It makes me cringe when I see it and hope nothing happens to them or their shipmates. Especially when it involves deep ocean voyages to other countries as well as off shore where no one has been before.

I have only gone with credentialed captains on major offshore on deliveries tp places I have never been. I have helped others move boats and have been the most "seasoned" and "experienced" person on board, but usually inshore and only to areas I am familiar with. That has a huge responsibility attached to it IMHO. I never present myself as having more experience than I do as I have seen others do.

This is another thread though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook