SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yikes! Mooring System Failure
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Yikes! Mooring System Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryL View Post
Hey,

Here in the north shore of Long Island (south side of the LI Sound), the towns regulate moorings. I own my mooring gear but need to purchase a mooring permit each year. The mooring can be placed in the spring and must be hauled by December. The upside is that the place that drops and hauls my mooring also inspects it and replaces components as required.

Barry
You may want to get on the towns mooring committee to get them to address the issue of continuously un-setting moorings..... I know many towns think they are doing a good thing by mandating removal but this only causes problems with an entire mooring field of partially set moorings. The harder the bottom type the longer it takes these moorings to properly set. A mushroom "screws" into the bottom by the boat moving around it. A properly set mushroom will have the shank near vertical and the bell buried 3'-6' below the bottom.. My diver charges me $75.00 to dive my mooring and inspect it and it remains set....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-16-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook