SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Thumbs up Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Day 4 hearing report from gCaptain.com
Love this guys writing style.

The Illusion of Experience – Bounty Hearings – Day 4 | gCaptain - Maritime & Offshore News
I like his writing style too, even though he sometimes seems to sensationalize and choose issues on the periphery. Not unlike others though

For instance he talked about the obvious lack of true experience about the two Bounty officers who tesitified and ridicules thier answers of thinking that using DAP or their ways of caulking as the marks of an inexperienced crew in " love " with their vessel. And that it was the "new" teaching the "new" improper or less than techniques. He comapared that with Kosojowski ( sp) the project manager who testified earlier about DAP not being used because it was inferior and who put down the on-board maitainence techniques of the crew. This is all well and good, but the gCaptain writer either was asleep or failed to mentiuon that the 3rd officer said in his testimony he would loved to have worked with Kosokowski for a long period of time so he could learn from him as that was his foeld and specialty. Kosokowski self admitted that he had no real training ewither and learned from others,

The gCaptain also failed to mention that many of Koksokowskis statements were rebutted and refutted by Jankovmicz the 40 year exeprience professional shipyard manager, his boss. After personally listening to Kosokowsji I found it incredulous to beleive he took pictures of substandard stuff and never showed them to anyone not even his boss until the CG said they were doing an inquirey. He took no notes on the project, yet Jankovmicz said the shipyard had boxes of notes on the project. Kosokowski said he told Walbriidge ( supposedly) to change his method of sailing because of what he thought MIGHT be present, and when further questioned by the CG Commander he said he met with Walbridge 30 times. and couldnt rememeber whether anyone else was present. Then he miracuously remembered where there were 5 present, but no one else remembered him saying what he claimed to Walbridge. I found Kosokowskis testimony questionable and self serving like he was covering his own ass. The CG Commander must have also as he asked him that directly, "Are you covering your ass" The g Captain writer reported none of this...

Heres what the WAYV repeorted ( they are doing the live stream
Quote:
Project manager Joe Jakomovicz, who has 40 years of experience, said Kosakowski's analysis is incorrect because Kosawkowski has "five or six years of experience."

Kosakowski worked with the Bounty when it visited Boothbay Harbor Shipyard in 2006 for repairs. He said the decay in the hull of the Bounty was not the worst he has ever seen.

His younger colleague believes the structural integrity of the hull was in question and has second thoughts about the decision of the Bounty's owners to set sail without a certificate of inspection.
I have watched the tesimony every day. I find the gcaptain reporting to be one dimensional and havent yet decided whether it is intentional with an agenda, or that they have selective hearing. Either way it certaianly is not even handed anymore than the sensationalism of other reporting I have seen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 02-16-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook