SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do with my old spinnaker?
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
What to do with my old spinnaker?

My boat came with an old symmetrical spinnaker, and while the boat did not come with a spinnaker pole, the fittings on the mast for one are there. The spinnaker has the date on it, and while I can't remember the exact year, it is circa 1976 (the colors correlate nicely with the date as well ).

My boat did come with a "drifter" which has spectra webbing for a luff and is set free flying. I've flown it inside and outside the headstay and now have settled on flying it inside the headstay as a gennaker. It's an awesome sail of moderately-huge size and we use it all the time. We've even used it to anchor under sail after an engine failure and were able to sail with the wind forward of the beam in 2-3 knots or so of true wind.

The symmetrical spinnaker is H-U-G-E. Calculations for spinnaker sizing say it might be as large as 1300sqft . For comparison my main is 400sqft and my 120% genny is 450sqft. I did hoist it once just to see what it looked like and while there appeared to be no detectable wind at the slip it quickly tried to take the boat away like we were Dorothy and Toto.

I have no desire to buy a spinnaker pole and start using it as a regular symmetrical spinnaker. Even if I did, my wife, who likes the drifter but is wary of it, is scared to death of big symmetrical spinnakers. (I guess I told too many racing war-stories. )

What should I do with the beast? It's an incredibly powerful sail and I'd love to use it somehow, but I'm not sure what I can do with it. Would it be worth having a 35 year old 0.5oz sail re-cut into an asymmetric? Any idea what that would cost? Anything else creative I can do with it like attach one clew to my boom and the other to my genoa pole for running downwind?

MedSailor