SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ideas and/or guidance
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Re: Ideas and/or guidance

Eric,
Here's my $0.02 worth coming from the husband of a physician who knows how you medical types have difficulty unplugging for any significant amount of time (have you actually tried leaving your practice for 4 months at a stretch?) 8-) Just knowing my wife and her fellow docs that love sailing and how they all tend to drift back to patients, patient care, skills that they worry are getting rusty, CME, whatever, something ALWAYS seem to pull their thoughts from cruising to medicine after a week or three. Ever been in an anchorage with more than one doc sitting in the cockpit after dinner? Guarantee that talk will find its way to medicine! 8-)

Your a doc. Either buy a boat and park it on the coast where you want to sail to and from, what CruisingDad suggests is very sound advice, or move to a coast. Yes cost of living goes up near the coast but so does income. A good, solid, coastal cruiser does not have to cost an arm and leg, you can get a nice family boat for under $100k ready to go. St. Pete and the entire Gulf Coast of Florida is reasonably priced for storage and offers great sailing. January/February in the panhandle is cold but you can easily head south to the keys and the Bahamas. Last summer I took a leisurely two weeks to go from St. Pete around the keys and over to Bimini, lots of fun!

So, if we were hanging out at the dock having this discussion I would offer you this advice. 1) if you can't move to a coast, keep a boat someplace you want to sail in the U.S where you are familiar with laws and customs and that part of the equation is easy to work through. 2) Choose a "boat home" someplace easy to commute to and from. (St. Pete fits the bill nicely with TPA close by) since you will likely have the long weekend when you will want to go sail occasionally. 3) I would avoid the charter idea as it would be running a business, hard on our boat, and charter companies may not take you on with your schedule requirements. 4) Have fun and enjoy sailing with your family! Nothing better in my book than time onboard with our kids. 5) Wherever you keep your boat does not have to be a lifelong commitment. You can do a year in Florida, a year on the Chesapeake, a year in the BVIs, etc. It's a boat, move it around and put some water under its keel!

Best wishes and et us know what you decide to do. We have many medical friends that are as addicted to sailing as us, it is doable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook