Chapter 11: Getting Back Underway
After a bit of a break, I'm at it again. The time has come to start putting all the puzzle pieces back together.
Here's today's progress...
First, the tappets and cam went back in. All the red goop on the parts is engine assembly lube (you'll see a lot more of this later). The reason is to prevent galling when the engine is initially started, prior to the oil cycling through all the passages. If I were going to be firing Blue up in the next day or two, motor oil would have been fine. However, since she's gonna be sitting for a while yet, assembly lube's viscuous enough to stay in place much better than motor oil.
Next up was the crankshaft.
Now, being somewhat cautious I decided to do one more check before I torqued the main caps down for good. I used a little Plastigage to double check that the running clearances were not excessive (based on my initial measurements I wasn't worried, but you never know; they might have gotten a little heavy-handed when they were polishing the journals.)
All good to go -- time to move on.
Next was assembling the pistons. My camera battery soiled the sheets, so I don't have any shots of attaching the heads to the cranks. I had to break out the heat gun to warm up components so the wrist pins would slide into the piston head and through the small end bearings -- again, I used a healthy coating of assembly lube on the moving parts.
Installed the rings:
And got ready to install the pistons in the block:
Before installing the pistons, I lubed the inside of the cylinders with ATF. Again, oil probably would have been OK, but ATF supposedly has a few advantages: It won't gunk up the ring grooves, the ATF will burn away a little cleaner, and the ATF will burn away faster which will speed up getting the rings seated.
Anyway, nothing fancy about this...
I didn't take any pictures, but I also took Plastigage measurements of the crank bearing running clearances as well -- once again, all is good.