SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for pictures...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013

jopakent is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking for pictures...

I got started on the motor today and I canít say things went well. The pictures from the Honda shop manual are pretty cool, step by step (for the carburetor) and a few shots of the impeller replacement too. Well first bad sign was when I noticed that the inboard and outboard gaskets were marked ďdo not reuseĒ in the illustrations. Called all over looking for them till finally the guy up in Everett suggested that I just be REAL careful taking em off. I did that and was feeling better. Then I got to the part where I was starting to transfer hardware from the old carb to the new one and found out that they sold me the wrong part.

Ah well, at least Iíve got that task almost half doneÖ AND Iíll be able to get new gaskets, a fuel filter and an oil filter while Iím in there.

So after a fair break, I tackled the impeller replacement. I got confused cause I thought the impeller mounted down by the prop. The steps say to take off the prop and the prop shaft holder and the gear case assembly I didnít have pictures of the pages that detail how to remove those last two, so I kind of winged it. I removed the prop and then the 5 bolts that seemed to be holding on the lowest ďchunkĒ of the lower unit. When I removed these, after a bit of banging, it dropped downÖ. Maybe 2 inchesÖ. And then kind of hangs there.

So now Iíve got the bottom of the motor dangling there and I donít want to use any force cause I donít want to break anything. In looking at the pictures again, I just realized that the 2 inch gap that I opened up is giving me access to the impeller housing and the four bolts that secure it. So I feel like Iím close to being on track, but Iíd sure feel better if Iíd done this before. Iím not sure if the gear case assembly is the part that I have dangling or not. Guess Iíll see what happens if I remove those four bolts tomorrow. Or who knows, I sprayed the whole thing with ďnut crackerĒ before I quit for the day, maybe the whole thing will be laying on the floor tomorrow 
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook