SailNet Community - View Single Post - Radar options
Thread: Radar options
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Radar options

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
We need to replace our old radar and have several choices. First I should say that we rarely use the radar and it was on the fritz from Australia to South Africa and there were only a couple of times where we felt like we were missing it. In tropical and semi-tropical areas it is nice for seeing a way around storms. When we return to temperate areas where fog occurs it would be good. Also good if we want to go to Namibia next year since it is foggy there. Anyway, the short version of the above is that I don't want to spend too much.

The options seem to be:
1. Get a radome (non-digital) that I can link to our 'classic' Raymarine chart plotter. Would have to get one on eBay since these are no longer made.

2. Get a Furuno monochrome radar, model 1715. Are these weatherproof for installation under dodger?

3. Get a Lowrance HDS system which apparently has very low power consumption.

4. Get a Lowrance dome and a Standard Horizon display. Does the SH display have any advantages?

5. Get a Ramarine e7 system which seems to offer some interesting networking capabilities.

What do you think?
Your list is diverse in both price and technology..
1)
Probably the least expensive, no experience with those radars.
Sure it is the old radar that is the problem?

2)
Standalone systems is just that... If you want to have radar & chart plotter at the same place - do you have room for both. Don't think that you will find stand alone radars with the newer technologies.

3)
Lowrance, Simrad and B&G are all companies in the Navico group Navico - Leader in Marine Electronics
All these brands share the same radar technology Broadband 3G™ and Broadband 4G™.
The broadband technology is different from what the others have. Broadband is better for detecting targets close, not so good at detecting squalls read more here. http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Guide_3406.pdf

4)
Can you combine Standard Horizon with lowrance radome?
I don't think you can, radars can't use NMEA (0183/2000) to transfer radar pictures to a display - so all of these use proprietary protocols.

5)
All the suppliers have "interesting networking capabilities" in the newer models.

Some points to consider
Budget
Stand alone
Integrate with existing
Replace existing

Which features are most important?
For radar Broadband/HD/Marpa/arpa?
For chart plotter integrate with AIS/VHF/sensors/autopilot

Not an answer - but hopefully food for thought
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook