SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI chart/nav app
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI chart/nav app

Nav App wrap up..... (I will start another thread on the trip itself, we are currently in St Thomas waiting for our flight home today)

I downloaded Garmin Bluechart, iSailor, Imray and iNautical. Some are only charts with no nav abilities.

The clear winner was Garmin. Showed us in our correct slip prior departure and was very accurate along the way. However, it did show us over the shoal at the entrance to Nanny Cay, despite being well within the channel markers. If we corrected to avoid what it thought was the shoal, we would still have been fine.

I didn't really need or want sophisticated nav ability, but it is nice to quickly determine distance to destination and I found tapping a route on the screen to take a second or two. Once I had the distance, I would immediately delete the route to get the clutter off the screen. I used the Ipad in its waterproof case only once. As it turned out, for just getting distances, it was perfectly useful on my iPhone, which I just kept in my pocket. It was a bit nerve wracking that I might fumble it and watch it go overboard, but thankfully it didn't happen.

I also wanted an app with the Active Captain database, but found the reviews and postings for BVI to be fairly limited. When I get a chance, I'm going to add several of my own.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook