SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Mark,

I'm too surprised that people are talking as much as they are even though some may not be as forthright as others. The lawyers are going after the deep pockets and that points to the owner who is taking the 5th.
As I pointed out in my prior post, there must be a lot of pressure on the crew under questioning, since the lawyer guy is going to try to trap everyone into some liability, although maybe not since their pockets are not deep.

However, I am not surprised that they are all talking. The only way to refuse to testify is to take the 5th, which is a tacit admission that you either broke the law or did some things that are at least accusable. Taking the 5th cannot be held against you in a court of law, but it can be held against you in almost every other way. If I was called in for questioning about my on-the-job actions and took the 5th, I would be fired instantly. (Of course, if I answered the questions in a way my employer didn't like, I'd be fired then too. )

Every one of those crew members lost their job (since the vessel sank), and if they took the 5th, that would severely hurt their future employability in any line of work. The vessel owner will forever have a black mark on his record (probably deserved) that will prevent him from ever leading another foundation or any other high-flying executive job that those types seek. He's got a world of hurt coming his way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook