SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
To the exception of Germany and US most countries with a maritime tradition has only one or two true tall ships that in a way or another are state funded and are in good condition. There are are also several countries, including Britain, Portugal or Sweden that have several other wooden tall ships on display I would not as dock attractions but as museums and not in sail condition.

Tall ship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost all of the Tall ships are today steel ships justly because it is a lot more expensive to maintain a wooden ship than a steel one.

I don't believe this will have any influence regarding European ships. As I have said not only mostly of the ships are state funded as the European legislation in what regards private owned boats and inspection is a lot more tight than the American one, being Europe a nanny state and all that jazz.

I believe the repercussions will be mostly over US Tall ships and in the end if reasonable measures were taken it will not affect negatively the Industry.

If the Bounty was classified as a boat restricted to sail in Coastal waters with winds in not excess of 5B (a fair weather limited boat) and had mandatory CG demanding inspections (not as a dock attraction) nothing of this would have happened.

Nothing is as damaging to the tall ship Industry as the series of accidents that have been happening on the last years with Tall ships.

Regards

Paulo
I almost totally agree.

I guess where the differentiation comes in on the classification of the Bounty. While it is considered a tall ship, it does not take passangers, therefore it is essentially a private vessel.

A private vessel not unlike say your vessel or even at most comercial fishing boat with paid crew. Regulations would have to be imposed on them which would affect many other commercial vessels which are like they are. What restrictions other than safety equipment do they operate under? My bet is many of them would not pass the true test of seaworthiness.

Just playing devils advocate here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook