SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
The only way to refuse to testify is to take the 5th, which is a tacit admission that you either broke the law or did some things that are at least accusable. Taking the 5th cannot be held against you in a court of law, but it can be held against you in almost every other way. .
So of a policeman arrests you and you ask for a lawayer and refuse to answer his questions that is a tacit admission of guilt or did things which are at least accusable?

I agree with the second thing you said and not the tacit broke the law. That presumes guilt before innocence.

I dont know about you but I have taught my daughter to be very careful about answering questions posed by the police even if they tell her by her not doing that it makes her look guilty.

It is far different testifying if you are accused of doing something which in this hearing they are not, oit is fact finding. When they have the civil case, which I am sure Christine will against the owner, they will be able to question him under oath if he choses to testify. The right of self incrimnination is one of your basic rights.

Now that doesnt go to say in the eyes of public opinion that people wont thing they way you said. They will no matter what he says, thats why he says nothing. He has nothing to gain and everything to lose. Youd do the same in a similar situation as would I.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook