SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1979 Hunter Cherubini 33' or 1977 Columbia 29' (8.7)
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: 1979 Hunter Cherubini 33' or 1977 Columbia 29' (8.7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
Maybe someone can help out on my decision here. I am looking at the above two boats, I am interested in both but leaning towards the Hunter. They are both in good condition. Although the Columbia is 2k less. I will be living aboard off and on during the summer. I plan to sail from New Orleans to Florida keys or Bahamas maybe once a year. Most times 2 to 3 other people will be with me so 4 of us total. Also I will be doing a lot of single handing. Mostly I will be sailing to the barrier islands along the gulf coast. I am thinking the Hunter will fit the bill but from what I read around, Columbias are some sturdy and capable cruisers but this one is not as big as the Hunter. The displacement of the Hunter is 10,400 and Columbia is 8500 so I fairly large difference there. Any advice based on this info?
Columbias are not Hinkleys but they are well built for production boats. The 8.7 is a classic, designed by Allan Payne. See Columbia 8.7 Specifications for specs. There is also a very active owners group (for all Columbias) at columbiasailingyachts : Messages : 138417-138446 of 138446.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook