SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving sailboat to Savannah from Seattle...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Moving sailboat to Savannah from Seattle...

" problem is after it's all done I'm left with a about $3000-6000 added to the value of the boat which is 'gone'... of course if I drive it myself I can sell the truck and trailer once the boat is in water "
I don't think so. If you buy a used truck, you'll be lucky to have nothing go wrong or need repairs. If oyu buy a new truck, the devaluation and sales tax will be major losses. Either way you've got fuel costs, motels, food...It won't be a cheap trip.

The only way I can see it making sense, if if you're planning to move by packing a small rental truck and trucking EVERYTHING cross-country. Then the boat and trailer can be hitched behind and just be a parasite on the larger load, and the extra fuel still won't be cheap.

If the boat is worth the costs, by all means take it. But if you're going to throw thousands of dollars into it...makes more sense to leave it behind unless you've got something really special.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook