SirRedemption is on a distinguished road
Re: Atomic4 Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Superior Sailor View Post
I would replace the coil...Dale
My thoughts too

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianclaire View Post
My first thought is failing coil. Do you have EI? Does the engine die slowly, sputtering or instantly as if you turned off the key? You may want to also post on the Moyer site Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Engine Rebuilding and Parts and you will get a bunch of advice and it is focused on the A-4. Dan S/V Marian Claire
No the ignition is coil distributor. Its hard to say because each actual instance was during my trying to get somewhere but it does seem like a slow spudder (such as with vapor lock) and then a sudden stop. I know an overheating coil can do this (at the time I didnt have a ballast resistor)

I read the same link last night about the signs of sudden stops. it leaves me feeling like I need a new coil and a tank and carb clean out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Second the recommendation to post this over at the Moyer forums.
Poor performance of your A4 can also be the result of bad fuel in your tank. As water and crud separate out from the fuel it floats BELOW the gasoline so you would not be able to smell anything but gas.
In a case like this draining the carburetor main passage plug helped get the crud out of the carb. If you catch the fuel in a container you would be able to see if there is any crud floating underneath the fuel.
It got so bad in my case that I had to pump out the entire tank. The pic below is of the last bit of liquid that came out.
oh man that is some disgusting stuff.... makes me want to dredge my tank immediately. What year boat did that come out of?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook