SailNet Community - View Single Post - Moving sailboat to Savannah from Seattle...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013

guitarguy56 is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving sailboat to Savannah from Seattle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" problem is after it's all done I'm left with a about $3000-6000 added to the value of the boat which is 'gone'... of course if I drive it myself I can sell the truck and trailer once the boat is in water "
I don't think so. If you buy a used truck, you'll be lucky to have nothing go wrong or need repairs. If oyu buy a new truck, the devaluation and sales tax will be major losses. Either way you've got fuel costs, motels, food...It won't be a cheap trip.

The only way I can see it making sense, if if you're planning to move by packing a small rental truck and trucking EVERYTHING cross-country. Then the boat and trailer can be hitched behind and just be a parasite on the larger load, and the extra fuel still won't be cheap.

If the boat is worth the costs, by all means take it. But if you're going to throw thousands of dollars into it...makes more sense to leave it behind unless you've got something really special.
Don't think so... I got this sailboat in excellent condition and I mean EXCELLENT for a song... couple had to sell it as they just had a new addition to the family and could not afford the slip fees and insurance/registration costs and were behind on payments... I picked up the payments and a small amount to them to settle the sale... this condition sailboat can't be had in Savannah for less than $8-10,000, I know most of you would say these boats would never sell for that but Seattle and Savannah are two different economies... I've looked for 25 foot similar condition boats and Cat-25's are selling for 10K there and aren't anywhere near the condition this boat is in... this boat easily passed the surveyor's exam with flying colors... even he was impressed by a 1982 boat...

Yes I can buy an F250 truck here used and sell in Savannah quite easily... again people in Savannah are not as 'green' as they are here... I can pick up a slightly used F250 here for a song with low miles and excellent condition and sell it in Savannah in a week or less... the trailer may take some time but there is always someone in the market for one... I'm one of them!

The addition to the cost of the boat is what I am trying to minimize... If I have to pay someone to tow it down then yes that money is 'gone' and can't be realized into the value of the boat... this is why towing it myself is the most logical way to go... what could go wrong? If the truck is reasonably new, trailer is new with new brakes and tires, etc... I see no problem except snow and the weather up in Mount Shasta, everything else is flat roads all the way into Savannah.

Last edited by guitarguy56; 02-17-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook