SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I dont know the answers or recommendatuons yet from the CG. I can say that if the Bounty had to rely on only gate admissions to remain solvent it would not have. She wasnt worth anything to anyone in her present repair state and had the oppertunity we just found out for a possible endowment in Florida, thus she was moved. The ownership of her was faced with either a financial loss by scrapping her, a move to Florida to find funding, or an insurance claim if she sank or burned. I am not accusing anyone just staing the obvious. Like someone posted before follow the money.

Its a sad sad story because we al love the image of the old tall ships. If she was some old tuna fisherman or commercial fishing boat we woulkdnt care about all this, but she represented the Bounty.
True enough in my experience. I wonder how many here have actually spent more than an hour or two sailing on a Tall Ship? Very, very few I expect.. and that's amongst sailing people, not the general populace.

As the years pass, the priviledge of sailing on an old wooden sailing vessel is one known to fewer and fewer people because the significant amount of money required for the up-keep of these vessels (built when labour was cheap and materials expensive, it is now the other way around) means they usually become unwanted museum exhibits or stripped, discarded and burned. Possibly the best end they could have is to be lost at sea - like the Bounty.

Truth is, there are very, very few countries left in the world that actually give a stuff about their maritime heritage (Portugal and New Zealand are the only two I know) - and the direct result is that the general populace don't either.

eg. I consider myself very priviledged to have spent many months at sea aboard what was, officially, the world's oldest active passenger vessel. It, like the QEII and a host of other now-forgotten fully-rivetted ships, was effectively banned from sailing the oceans of the world with the introduction of SOLAS 2010, leaving us with the current generation of steel boxes. As a result, current and future generations will never experience what life was like on a genuine old ship. Perhaps the end is near for training sail also?