SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJude View Post
Also, in this thread, we are wondering if it is us who are out of touch with modern sail making as this sail maker has claimed.
No, not necessarily out of touch.. it is simply very hard for a sailmaker who has only ever known how to build racing sails (or, more specifically has forgotten how) to build cruising ones!

I can tell you from current experience that even going back to the guy who made the old one won't always help. These days, to keep costs down, sails tend to be computer-cut somewhere else and then assembled at the local sail loft. If he didn't understand what you wanted, like me and my futile attempts to get a new headsail, you're screwed..

IMO, you need to find some "old salt" who will show you cloth samples, measure up your boat and take the time to work out exactly what you need - but it certainly won't be the cheapest quote you get.