SailNet Community - View Single Post - (Saved by CO detector overvoltage beeping) -- Gel cell charge voltage settings?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: (Saved by CO detector overvoltage beeping) -- Gel cell charge voltage settings?

Brad,

Here's some advice for those with solar controllers that have auto equalize...

TURN IT OFF!!!!

As for GEL batteries (most are Sonnenschein or Deka/East Penn) absorption should be about 14.1V. Deka has recently upped this "allowable" voltage on their GEL batteries but when I see properly charged GEL batteries going 8 to 12 years I have to assume that they really like 14.1V and the people who invented the technology, Sonnenschein, knew what they were talking about when they advised 14.1V...

My concern with this new Deka charging voltage allowance is that is to "accommodate" potential buyers with "dumb" chargers and not in the best interest of longevity, which is where GEL's really win..

On your float voltage gels actually float (Sonnenschein & Deka) at higher than one would assume. They like to be floated at 13.6V to 13.8V with 13.8V being preferred...

I would highly recommend the IPN ProRemote especially with GEL or AGM batteries...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-17-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook