SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
btw Hartley ... what's this about your headsail ?
TD, if you really want to know:

As mentioned on the previous thread, my current heavy-duty headsail was getting a bit long in the tooth anyways before the old furler chafed the boltrope out of it in a few places. It's also (a) stretched out of shape, especially along the foot, by being hardened in tight for +10years and (b) needed a new UV cover (apparently it's 4th..) - so I decided to fork out for a new one to fit the new furler.

That was my instructions to Doyles: "New headsail to fit the new furler, but please make it shorter on the foot so I can set it properly." So the sailmaker measures up and takes away the old headsail to use as a template... and comes back with a headsail that fits the furler great, but is so long on the foot, I can't set it any tighter than a reach without relocating my jib tracks to the stern!!

Can you guess what happened? He made the foot of the new one the same length as the stretched one... FFS.

(Reminder to self: Make sure next boat has a full set of good sails, because unless the boat has a glossy carbon fibre rig and is a regular winner of major ocean races, dealing with sailmakers is no fun at all.)