SailNet Community - View Single Post - Womboat Takes a Strike.
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: In regards to Lightning

I am as superstitious as all of you as my boat is bonded and has and had a dissapator. The bonding is to give it as many oppertunities to find a way out of the boat as possible as Maine sail said.

My point is it was useless in my lightning strike or it didnt work. Thats the point. After seeing 10 boats around me with all sorts of systems, dissapators, air terminals etc get struck and damaged by one bolt. It causes me to question its prevention. I am not leaving it up to chance at all as some of you have said. There is no gaurentee by any of these companies with their methods. They all admit that and none of them has any empirical data to back it up.

So if you chose to take thier leap of faith go for it. Its your money. I have wasted my money on plenty of things in life which didnt work as advertised. When someone says they are not sure if it works it doesnt give me a whole lot of sense of security it will, bu thats just hardheaded me.

My examples are are real life and personal ones with real life results vs hypothesis, theory, or personal opinions. One bolt...ten boats struck...some by water....some by mast to mast... all damaged to varying degrees....all bonded...some with dissapators....some with air terminals with invincability cones....none avoided being hit. Just the personal experience of one SN.

TDW...same thing maybe.....Mainesail...struck also... bonding may help direct....Maine/ TDW did you have an air terminal or dissapator?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook