SailNet Community - View Single Post - Womboat Takes a Strike.
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: In regards to Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Geeze jon, I think I am past that point. I obviously know what bonding is for.

Maybe i wasnt clear enough ...(grin)

I have it ( bonding) and in fact I believe it is what allowed the lightning strike to travel into our boat and into the engine as well as the elctrical panel. That was the diagnosis of 2 experts, one insurance and the other a certified marine elctrician which none of us are.
If it came in though the ground, it often does, then bonded or not it makes little difference. Your prop shaft or "ships ground", is connected to the engine, engine is connected to ships neg DC bus. Negative DC bus connected to DC panel, VHF, Anchor light, electronics etc. etc..... I have worked on boats where it came in though the ground one of them was not bonded for either corrosion or lightning... Also seen just as many boats with fuzzy bottle brushes hit as boats without...In my experience strikes that come in though the ground side often destroy nearly all the electronics. My assumption is that there is no "switching" in the neg leg thus the current goes straight in the back door of the equipment.. On boats that take a mast hit sometimes some devices are skipped right over and still work after the strike where others are blown to smithereens..

And BTW I am a "certified marine electrician"....

BTW IIRC the customers policy was held by Marsh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook