SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do with my old spinnaker?
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do with my old spinnaker?

I'm just going to put it out there:

I love sailnet!

I thought the question was bordering on a complete waste of electrons because, as I figured, since I wasn't going to go the whole racer/pole route, my only option was to sell it. I did ask though, just in case there was something good I could do with such a powerful sail.

SvHyLyte, knuterkit and others to the rescue!

I've seen the ATN tacker many times, but I thought it was just a convenience tool of some kind for asymmetrics. How cool to find out that it can be used with symmetrics also. Even better, there is a low buck project in there to make it cheaper than the commercial version.

I've done the rubber band hoist before, and while I think it's a cool trick, hoisting isn't usually the problem. The problem is getting it back aboard when (oops!) the wind built higher and faster than you expected. I think a sock or a furler would be required for the wife to approve, and I am not sure a furler is the best option for a sail THAT big. That's a lot of furling....

My wife really is afraid of spinnakers and their power to capsize. It's entirely my fault because of the stories I've told, but there it is. One idea I came up with tonight, is to tie the Parrel bead collar, the sail's tack, and the tack-line, all together with a loop of light line. If the line is of the appropriately light breaking strength then when the boat starts to broach the line would break, thereby automatically releasing the tack, before the boat really broached or the sail ripped. Seems like a nice, easy, safety mechanism to me and the wife really approved of the idea of an automatic safety valve for preventing capsize. Either that, or she gave me the "that's a nice (hair-brained) idea honey" look. I can't usually tell the difference....

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll keep the sail for now, and hopefully once the wife gets more and more comfortable with the drifter I can pull out the big spinnaker later.

MedSailor