SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roberts 38 pointing
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013

Chas. is on a distinguished road
Re: Roberts 38 pointing

The boat rounded uncontrollably once for certain when I had a full 90% jib up and a full medium loose main. It was nothing to slack the main and let her round out again, but it was what I call a weather-helm-like motion. I assume that was a result of a large main and having no staysail up.

On the other (contradictory) hand, she won’t point. She’s known to be slow to windward and to not point well, but she does seem to have a significant lee helm when pointing. Another way of saying it may be that, as we try to point, we keep bringing in the sails. And eventually, we are turning the rudder some trying to get the bow a little higher, and bring in the sails more, and when most boats would respond and point higher, this boat requires more rudder to keep her bow in.

The sails never rattle or luff. The builder, who “raced” her for years said that the boat was well-balanced with the staysail up.

I need to replace the running rigging so I can’t sail her out now to see all she can do and what sails she likes, but I was just wondering how a stay sail might make her point better.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook