SailNet Community - View Single Post - Saratoga Passage questions
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013
"Fairhaven" Formosa 41

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Saratoga Passage questions

There aren't too many really good spots to anchor along there. There are options though.

Langley has a very very small marina that I went into once.

Anchored in Elger bay once. It shallows up quickly so I used 2 anchors (if I recall) to keep me in place. No protection at all there from any direction but there was no wind that night, so it was okay.

Penn Cove and Oak Harbor both have anchoring but can be absolute wind tunnels. Good, safe holding, but you'll really wish you wern't there. Penn cove has a guest dock and Coupeville is a nice place to walk around. You can get a drink at Tobys (better atmosphere) or The Front Street Bar & Grill (better food) and look at your boat from there. Careful though at low tide as the dock itself gets a little shallow. Oak harbor marina usually has slips too and isn't expensive. Penn cove also has state park buoys right next to the guest dock but the state park buoys aren't as bombproof as they used to be. I've seen 2 washed ashore, several out of place, and my friend dragged one and went aground.

Laconnor is a beautiful place to sightsee, but the channel is narrow and has tidal currents that can not be predicted. Be careful in there. My only major boat crash (so far) was in there.

Hope island has a couple state park buoys and if you are confident in your anchoring you can anchor just East or West of them. There is current in there from Deception pass, so be confident in your anchoring if you're going to do that.

Closer to Deception pass is Coronet Bay and Deception Pass Marina. A small, laid-back place. They sometimes have room as well.

The trip up is a nice one, though you'll likely be motoring the whole time the scenery changes often which makes the trip worthwhile. Stay in the marked channel after Oak Harbor by putting your binoculars on the buoys. Or use a chart-plotter if you have one of those.

Oh, and I assume you know to go through Deception Pass at slack right?

MedSailor

Last edited by MedSailor; 02-18-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook