SailNet Community - View Single Post - Saratoga Passage questions
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Saratoga Passage questions

The ones in Penn Cover are state park buoys and they're west of the penn cove dock about 50-100yards. I'm going to be there tomorrow so I'll verify that they're actually there right now. Unfortunately the quantity and location of state park buoys changes all the time. They're not all on the maps and the ones that were there last year aren't always there this year.

All the docks I mentioned have overnight pay moorage for affordable rates. The only one I'm not certain about is Deception Pass marina but I'm pretty sure they do.

The state park sticker is better than sliced bread. I've spend probably over 100 nights on WA State park buoys. Not only can you stay at the buoys to your hearts content with that pass but it saves you rowing ashore to pay your fee when you arrive. Awfully convenient and the end of a long day when the wind is up. The sticker also allows you to use the state park docks that are reasonably plentiful in the San Juan Islands.

Bowman Bay, which is just outside of Deception Pass has a state park dock and sometimes there is a buoy or two in that bay. Anchoring in Bowman bay is good as well unless there is a westerly, though the dock offers some protection from said westerly. Stay close-ish to the south side of the bay's entrance to avoid coffin rock when entering or exiting the bay.

The next bay north (rosario bay?) sometimes has a buoy or two in it as well but is much less protected.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook