SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI recap
Thread: BVI recap
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Nice report.. but I'm a bit dismayed by talk of boats speeds in the 4s and 5s with winds 15-25??? Seems a 36 footer should do better... What year was the boat? Would you buy one?
The boat was a 2010 and the bottom was fairly fouled, particularly the keel and rudder. Almost like the diver must have skipped them. Of course, we were also towing a dinghy, which has to cost a half to a full knot. These boats get an awful lot of use in a short period of time. The engine already had 2600 hrs on it!!

The sail plan was a full battened hanked on main and a furling jib (no genoa).

My first time on a Bavaria, so I can't report on the line, only the newer 36. I actually thought it was marginally better built that the Bennie and Jennies of the same vintage. Prior to approx 2008, Bennies and Jennies were much better quality IMO. However, we were on a model that I'm sure was built for charter and I think Bavaria has a different line for owner boats (Vision or something like that?). The brand new Beneteau we chartered a few years back was falling apart in front of our eyes and I think we were the third voyage ever. Also a charter specific build for the Moorings, I suspect.

The one thing that I did not like was the double main sheet, rather that a main and a traveler, but got used to it.

All in all, it was better than the single digit temps when I got home at 1am. yikes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook