SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI recap
Thread: BVI recap
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: BVI recap

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Sounds like you had a great time albet the weather. The Bavaria is 18 ft shorter than you are used to sailing. So no wonder it didnt seem as quick although 5 knts in 15 knt winds doesnt seem right. They really arent slow like IPs a all. They actually compare to Tartans as far as speed. Maybe the bottom was fouled or the sails set up for it were smaller. Welcome back to winter.

Phrf
Jenneau 54D- 60
Bavaria 36 - 135
I thought my PHRF was 66, but I was certainly expecting a slower boat. The charters are probably a bit beaten on, even at a young age. As I posted above, a foul bottom and towing a dink must have been a cost too.

In the end, it was still great sailing. All day to get anywhere you want to go and none of it is really that far away.

The funny part is that my wife has teased me that we should really trade back down in size one of these days. She felt the larger fenders and lines were just tough and more stuff aboard was more stuff to repair. She is right in a way. However, now that we putted along for a week at 4 or 5 knots, she thinks the 12" fenders and 3/4" docklines are just fine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook