SailNet Community - View Single Post - What to do with my old spinnaker?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: What to do with my old spinnaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post

My wife really is afraid of spinnakers and their power to capsize. It's entirely my fault because of the stories I've told, but there it is. One idea I came up with tonight, is to tie the Parrel bead collar, the sail's tack, and the tack-line, all together with a loop of light line. If the line is of the appropriately light breaking strength then when the boat starts to broach the line would break, thereby automatically releasing the tack, before the boat really broached or the sail ripped. Seems like a nice, easy, safety mechanism to me and the wife really approved of the idea of an automatic safety valve for preventing capsize. ...

MedSailor
If you're really worried about that, one way to "blow the tack" is to simply connect the tack of the sail to the parrel bead collar with a snap shackle and connect the snap shackle pin to a "rip cord" that you lead back to the cockpit outside the life-lines. Attach a big grab ring or handle to the cockpit end and, in extremis, one good snatch will blow the tack and put paid to a knock-down.

In our case, we simply don't use the sail when the true wind is much over 15 knots or apparent wind over 10. (Note, however, that the apparent wind will increase, and shift forward, as the yacht slows during the take-down. assuming one has been running off to some degree.) My pressure relief system is my (much) better half. She does most of the driving while I do the line handling and muscle work and, at the point when she says "I'm feeling nervous", we blow the tack and bag the sail. It's worked for us, eh?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook