SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yikes! Mooring System Failure
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Yikes! Mooring System Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobGallagher View Post
How hard is the bottom? My mooring must be inspected every 3 yrs, but, I've had a diver jet my mooring into the bottom so that it's completely under the mud.

The diver is also a third generation marina owner and swears that getting the mooring gear under the mud not only is better holding but that the iron rusts slower under the muck.
You have a good mooring guy that KNOWS a mooring needs to be set in order to work! They won't allow "jetting" around here as it stirs up too much silt and with 1400+ moorings.........They can get away with it for ACOE permitted work such as docks etc. but not for moorings. Some local mooring guys, the good ones, will "screw" them by running the barge in circles for the initial set at least enough to bury the bell. Our bottom is pretty soft on top but quickly turns into a hard blackish clay / goo..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook