SailNet Community - View Single Post - Catalina value
Thread: Catalina value
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

SailingJackson is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina value

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregrosine View Post
This will be our first boat. There is a 1987 Catalina 36 foot sailboat. It's in good condition. It's been upgraded with an in-boom mainsail furler. It's for sailing on Lake Michigan. We are considering placing an offer but are looking for guidance on what the market value might be for a similar boat. We know it will depend on a survey, but are looking for some rough ideas of the price point on this year of boat. Any guidance?
Looks like we're talking about this boat in Holland.

Other factors are the 1) winter cover, 2) decent canvas 3) reverse cycle air conditioning, 4) upgraded fridge, and 5) wing keel.

I wouldn't give much for any of the electronics on the boat, but some of the stuff I've listed above adds a good deal to the value. In particular, with Lake Michigan at record low levels, that boosts the value of shoal draft. Years back when the lake was nearly this low there were dozens of 6' draft boats offered at give-away prices. As long as the lake stays low shoal draft will add to the value of your boat and add to your freedom as to where you can get into.

In addition to a survey, you need to ask questions about the engine. That boat has been in use 26 years and he has not listed the engine hours.

You can also get lots of support over at Catalina 36 International Association Forums - Powered by vBulletin. I'd agree with another poster of around $40K. $38K would be a great deal, but $45K would not be unreasonable if the survey supports it. Don't survey in this sort of weather, wait until it warms up and the surveyor will be able to investigate a little more thoroughly.

GJ
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook