SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: Mainsail from Hell OR am I an Old Fart?

A string sail for my 25 footer costs $2,000.
Congratulations, you won. You wanted the cheapest sail posible, and you got it.

From the time I first talk to a sailmaker to the time of delivery and sea trial there are probably 20+ emails that go back and forth answering questions on battens, slides, chafe protection, predicted use, cloth, manufacturing process, shipping, etc. If you go to a sailmaker and can't even invest the time to tell them exactly what you want, why should they care about giving you a quality product?

I'm the worst/best customer when it comes to buying anything. Research the product and what your demands of it will be. Ask a lot of questions and have the vendor explain why spending more is a good thing. Justification. Don't just say, I need a heavy sail for a 44' boat and it has to be cheap.

On every rigging job I do there are a lot of questions and dozens of emails back and forth to make sure the customer knows exactly what they want and that they are willing to pay for it. Sometimes you can save some money (spin sheets), other times you poney up the dough and do it right (vectran main halyard). I'm not going to build a stretchy vang for someone who doesn't have a traveler and will be vang sheeting. The customer won't be happy.

I blame the sailmaker as much as the customer for this mainsail screwup. Not nearly enough communication and no understanding of the product wanted compared to the producted delivered. Price should be an afterthought. Get the right gear first. Now fixing this problem will be very expensive.