SailNet Community - View Single Post - Liveaboard in SF Bay?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road
Re: Liveaboard in SF Bay?

3/4g coverage should not be a problem in the bay area. I have always had cell coverage when I've been on the water.

I have noticed a growing trend wrt minimum boat size & live aboards. Afaik, this has nothing to do with cost, as the difference between say, a 28 footer and 30 footer is negligible (i.e., $25/mo or so). Moreover, the tacked on live aboard fees are not by the foot. Otherwise put, if you are looking for live aboard accommodations as opposed to cruising accommodations, marinas that require a minimum 30/35, will likely turn you away. There are those who play the sneak aboard game, but I personally wouldn't go that route. Imho, the sneak aboards are the reason that, for example, "live aboard" is considered a dirty word by many harbor masters, and even some sailors. Importantly, I would urge you to visit these marinas in person. Even if you have no intention of renting a slip from them. It's a great way to get a feel for what you want/or don't want, in a marina. Plus, by walking the docks, you can get ideas for setting up your own boat. Moreover, marina communities differ just like land communities. And finally, should you find a marina that you like, you can meet with the harbor master, thereby increasing your chances of getting a LAB slip... even, possibly charming your way into a marina that has a minimum boat size requirements for live aboards. Assuming, that is, they don't have a waiting list.

If you're considering living on the hook, you will need to factor in everything from power (i.e., solar? wind?) to water and pump out, as well as lugging stuff (i.e, provisions, trash, etc) to/from shore. Since you won't have shower facilities, then you'd be dependent upon either getting a membership at a local gym, or doing the sun shower thing in your cockpit. Regardless, if you check out google maps satellite view and zoom in to the bay area, you will see Richardson Bay has, by far, the most anchorages. Though, there is presently a big fight between the city and people living on the hook... which, from my understanding, has been going on for at least 3 decades. Nonetheless, this is apparently due boating accidents resulting from people not knowing how to properly set their anchors. Which in turn, results in their boats breaking free in high winds, and crashing into others on the hook or docked boats. With that in mind, if I were to go the hook route, I'd definitely rent a mooring ball. They're like $15 or so a month, and mitigates the risk of your boat going astray. That, and they're legal, where other hook living is considered illegal in Saus.

Last edited by shadowraiths; 02-18-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to shadowraiths For This Useful Post:
Steady Hand (06-10-2014)