SailNet Community - View Single Post - What can I EASILY make out of an old sail
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: What can I EASILY make out of an old sail

Honestly, the bags are easy to make. I designed the tote after looking at my wife's Land's End bag for 10 minutes and then making a newspaper pattern to get the construction sequence right. The duffel was easier in that it's just a tube with two circles on each end. The gold sail material are cutoffs from my sailmaker that he had in the trash.

A tote takes about 90 minutes to make (most of the time is spent just cutting material) and the duffel takes about 4 hours because of the details. But they're not HARD. All that's needed is a willingness to fail... I had nothing to lose, the genoa was already dead. Totes make great gifts and I make 4 or 5 at a time after Thanksgiving in time for the Holidays. Special people get sailcloth bags, acquaintances get bags from old sailcovers or material form JoAnn Fabrics.

While not made from my genoa, this handbag for my wife is made from racing laminate and material left over when I made new interior cushions: